Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Neighborhood Thrift Shop


It doesn't have the same quality of used goods that my favorite shop does and many items are chipped, seriously marred or broken, but occasionally I find something that I can use or is inspirational. One of my favorite purchases here was a pair of metal Globe Werneke bookcases. Other purchases have included a mental clothes cabinet, a second-story escape ladder, bureaus, bowling balls (future mosaic project), swing-arm lamp, toy box (for my dog's toys), books (primarily juvenile and pop-up), bulletin board, pots for plants, baskets, to name a few. What I like about thrift shops is the element of surprise, the feeling that one is on a treasure hunt and I am amazed at how many times I find things on my search list. Thrift shops are not only a boon to people on limited budgets but support my desire to recycle and conserve.

No comments: